[Seaside] Preparing a Seaside Squeak application for Production

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 19:28:02 UTC 2006

2006/11/16, Sébastien Rocca-Serra <sra at e8dev.com>:
> Hi, We develop a Seaside Web application that will soon go in production.
>
> It's our first experience with Seaside & Squeak, so we need advice
> before installing the image on the production server.
>
> Context
> -------
> We plan to use a headless 3.8 image with Seaside 2.6 on a Debian Sarge
> with a 3.9.7 VM, and we use MySQL 5.0 for persistence.

Is there a special reason why you don't use the latest (3.9.8) vm?

> We need to address high traffic.
>
> Questions
> ---------
> - Is it safer to use a latest version of Seaside 2.6 for bug fixes (like
> 118+), or use an older one (under 100 or so)?,

Latest. Especially since old doesn't mean stable, just old.

> - Is Squeak 3.8 better suited to Seaside 2.6?
> - Is Squeak 3.9 better suited to Seaside 2.6?

Make sure you have FastSocketStream. It's in 3.8.1 or 3.9.

> - Are there subtle performance tweaks, (silly example: closing all
> windows in the image)?

- Yeah, close those Morphs. Weird things can happen if you leave them
up open too long.
- Especially close the Transcript.
- Flush the Monticello Cache
- Build a special image for deployment without, RB, Shout, eCompletion, ...

Cheers
Philippe