[Seaside] Preparing a Seaside Squeak application for Production

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Thu Nov 16 20:07:51 UTC 2006

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> 2006/11/16, Sébastien Rocca-Serra <sra at e8dev.com>:

>> Context
>> -------
>> We plan to use a headless 3.8 image with Seaside 2.6 on a Debian Sarge
>> with a 3.9.7 VM, and we use MySQL 5.0 for persistence.

For testing and debugging purposes you may want to run the image headed
against a VNC server. We do this for most of the stuff running on our
server. VNC listening on localhost only, then use a ssh tunnel to
connect if needed.
And, as happens on a regular basis to our SqueakSource servers, the
image locks up, just connecting to VNC an wiggling the mouse brings it
back to life.

>> - Is Squeak 3.8 better suited to Seaside 2.6?
>> - Is Squeak 3.9 better suited to Seaside 2.6?
>
> Make sure you have FastSocketStream. It's in 3.8.1 or 3.9.

At least the 3.8.1 image, includes a couple of fixes and especially the
FastSocketStream (replacing SocketStream), as pointed out above.

Although 3.9 might work as well (or better), I just haven't really used
it as much yet.

> - Yeah, close those Morphs. Weird things can happen if you leave them
> up open too long.
> - Especially close the Transcript.
> - Flush the Monticello Cache

Check if there are any zombies of your application in the image.

> - Build a special image for deployment without, RB, Shout, eCompletion, ...

Oh, you mean the image I usually work in? ;-) I'm old fashioned, still
typing and reading everything myself ;-)

Michael