[Seaside] WAListener

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 06:58:47 UTC 2006

> Is it just me or is WAListener unable to handle authentication?

A few days ago I sent the following mail to Michel. The same I write
about WATask holds for authentication as it uses #returnResponse:

Cheers,
Lukas

- - - - - -

Hi Michel,

obviously WAListener does not work together with users of
#returnResponse:. I guess this cannot be avoided due to the nature of
HTTP streaming. The best solution would certainly be to change the
implementation of WATask not to use #returnResponse:.

When WAListener was introduced January 2006 Avi wrote in the mailing list:

> Ok, I promised a hack and a hack it is, but...
>
> 1. Make sure you have FastSocketStream loaded from SqueakMap
> 2. Load http://squeaksource.com/Seaside/Seaside2.6a2-avi.77.mcz
> 3. WAListener startOn: 8081
>
> Now try accessing your app from 8081 instead of 8080 or whatever
> usual port you use.  Notes:
>
> - This doesn't do Keep-Alive or chunked encoding; it uses HTTP 1.0,
> not 1.1
> - WAListener largely bypasses Comanche (using it only to parse the
> HttpRequest), so there's much less there in terms of error handling
> or configurability
> - It WILL NOT WORK if you use a WATask subclass
> - I can't measure or perceive a performance benefit on localhost,
> though I *can* see the difference if I use telnet to simulate an HTTP
> request.  I have yet to do any testing with remote servers.
>
> I'm curious to see if this makes a difference for anyone.

There was no reply to this message, so I guessed I am the first real
user of WAListener with Comet.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli