[Seaside] Extra roundtrip for cookie'd sessions?

Boris Popov boris at deepcovelabs.com
Tue Oct 10 19:52:30 UTC 2006

Looking at optimizing our web server a bit I noticed that when sessions
are configured to use cookies, the initial home page is 4 trips to the
server whereas if sessions use an _s parameter, the number of trips is
only 3.

Without cookies,

1. Request /online
2. Redirect /online?_s=(S)&_k=(Y)
3. Redirect /online?_s=(S)&_k=(Z)

(where last redirect is a result of WATask being used on the home page)

With cookies,

1. Request /online
2. Redirect /online?_k=(X)
3. Redirect /online?_k=(Y)
4. Redirect /online?_k=(Z)

As you see there's an extra X trip triggered by #redirectWithCookie: in
WASession>>start: can anyone think of a way to rid of that by any
chance? Couldn't one just assume current's session role as the requested
session and rely on #respond: to actually set the cookie on the
user-agent post-mortem? Just thinking out loud, perhaps I'm missing
something simple.

Thanks!

-Boris

--