[Seaside] Serving files

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Oct 12 10:55:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 11:09:18PM -0400, David Shaffer wrote:

> This might be the appropriate time to mention that "hacking" at classes
> like ModFile to make them perform asyc file I/O isn't solving the larger
> problem: Squeak file I/O needs to not block the VM.  There are many web
> applications that do file I/O and having the default behavior be VM
> blocking will cause headaches for people developing these applications.

That's why I mentioned the OSPP primitive. If you are using Unix/Linux
or OS X, you probably already have #primitiveSQFileSetNonBlocking
available.  You're right that this is not a general solution, but
if you do need nonblocking file IO, it's worth knowing that the
primitive is already there. No doubt it would be better to have
this as an optional primitive in the FilePlugin and better integrated
into the file stream classes.

Dave