[Seaside] Serving files

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Thu Oct 12 12:25:34 UTC 2006

Philippe Marschall wrote:

> If two different processes want to access the same file (each creating
> its own filestream !) things can get fucked up because the file
> registry is not thread-safe.
> This isn't theoretical. This happened on one of our production
> applications.
What threads?  Assuming you are talking about Squeak processes...What
file registry?  Are you talking about the collection of weak references
to open file streams?..or something at the VM level?  The open file
stream registry is designed to be safe for concurrent access from Squeak
processes.  My experience is that it is.  I've pounded Linux-based file
servers over very long periods of time at high connection rates (see the
wiki page I sited in my last e-mail) and I've absolutely never seen this
issue.  Has it been discussed elsewhere?  Can you suggest how to
reproduce it?

David