[Seaside] Getting Started with SeasideAsync (orScriptaculous?)

Carl Gundel carlg at libertybasic.com
Sat Oct 21 17:22:34 UTC 2006

From: "Philippe Marschall" <philippe.marschall at gmail.com>
>2006/10/20, Carl Gundel <carlg at libertybasic.com>:
>> I'm thinking of trying to use SeasideAsync, but I'm not sure if it does
what
>> I need or even how to get started.
>>
>> Here's what I'm thinking.  I do not want my application to use the back
>> button.  Instead I'd like to keep the same page up and reload only
certain
>> parts of a page as needed.  Is this what SeasideAsync is suppose to
>> accomplish?  Or do I need something more like Scriptaculous?  I've looked
>> around a bit but haven't found  good starter materials for either of
these.

>Hi
>
>Can you be a bit more specific? When should what be changed?

First of all, thanks for the references.  I'll check them out.

Well, I have an application page which contains a list (one kind of
WAComponent) of anchors for choosing subviews.  Depending on the choice a
render a different instance of a subclass of WAComponent.  It's a rather
traditional banner/tab/subpage layout, with different instances of
WAComponent subclasses for each.

One of these WAComponent subclasses is displayed as an interactive session
(I call it a SessionPage), like a transcript.  I add some more text or an
images to the transcript as the session progresses.  Each next text item or
image is added as a child WAComponent to the SessionPage.  I would like to
reload and render just that instance of SessionPage without reloading the
entire page.  I need this for two reasons:

- The back button really doesn't suit this kind of application.  So if I
presume that if don't reload the whole page there's no way for this to be an
issue.
- I want the user to experience a smoother kind of appearance instead of
redrawing the whole page every time.

I guess I'd also like to avoid reloading the whole page when the user
switches to a different subview.

Thanks for any ideas.

-Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
http://www.libertybasic.com