[Seaside] database stuff (was: Avoiding SQL injections with squeak / seaside / mysql driver)

William Harford seaside at harford.org
Mon Oct 23 15:20:34 UTC 2006

On Oct 20, 2006, at 2:15 PM, Jason Johnson wrote:

> Very cool.  Is this how the ruby database stuff works?

I am not sure how the Ruby stuff works but you could do a CRUD frame
work with REServe.

The idea with REServe is the database is created/maintained using
your object model.

> I am tied up with RecuranceRule right now, and after that a web
> site.  But when I get those two things done I was considering doing
> a RoR type thing in Seaside.

I would be happy to help with the effort. I would suggest we don't
try and copy RoR but try and address the same problems in a different
way.

> Of course it will be "seaside-esque" (i.e. everything is done in
> the web, no config files, etc.  And styling is done with CSS
> instead of hand written template yuckery).  So I need to know what
> database thing will get me the closest to the ActiveRecord stuff
> they do (haven't really looked at it yet).

REServe would give you the data component. I would be cool if a
programmer could simply define the interface and have the data model
and database create themselves. It really should be quite easy to do
with Seaside.

I have actually thought quite a lot about this and would love to get
stared in the near future if time allows.

I would love to write a lot more on the subject but I am just to busy
today. If you would like to start a dialog on the subject please do.
I will jump in when time allows.

> Also, does your driver have any compiled components?

I use a slightly modified MySQL driver. And Yanni Chiu's PostgreSQL
driver to interface with the databases. Those drivers are abstracted
from REServe via the REServeMySQLDriver and REServePostgreSQLDriver
classes.

Both the MySQL and PostgreSQL drivers are native Squeak.

Keep in touch.
Will