[Seaside] project for migrating sea side to visual age

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 20:26:15 UTC 2006

On Oct 21, 2006, at 12:15 PM, Fernando Wermus wrote:

>     We are working in a project at university to migrate sea side
> to visual age. We wanna know if somebody has an alternative design
> to continuations, because it is becoming hard working to migrate
> continuations to visual age.

There are two levels at which Seaside uses continuations.  One is in
the implementation of WASession>>respond:, and the other is in the
implementation of WAComponent>>call:.

Neither of these methods can be implemented without continuations.
However, it's reasonable to imagine Seaside applications that never
directly used either of them.  The main problem is that #respond: is
used in some key places in the framework, most notably in
WARender>>render and WARender>>redirect.

It *would* be possible to implement WARender without using #respond:,
and that's what I would suggest you do.  You'll need to start storing
objects in the Session with #actionUrlForContinuation: that *aren't*
continuations, but that still keep the infinite alternations of
#render/#redirect going in the same way that WARenderLoop>>run does
now.  These objects also need to do the snapshot/restore bookkeeping
that #respond: currently takes care of.

If you need more guidance here, let me know.

Avi