[Seaside] Squeak performance

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Sep 3 04:19:15 UTC 2006

On 2-Sep-06, at 8:45 PM, Grant Rettke wrote:

> What is the order of importance for making Squeak run quickly
> when considering: ram, hard drive speed, and cpu speed?
In my experience, the three things you need most for good Smalltalk
performance are, in order
memory bandwidth,
memory bandwidth,
and memory bandwidth.
Cpu speed is surprisingly close to irrelevant except inasmuch as it
can fill your memory bandwidth. Most of what Smalltalk does is follow
pointer chains and copy bits around. Doing that fast needs memory
bandwidth from the cache to cpu, from cache to main memory and main
memory to display. A bigger cache substitutes somewhat for more
bandwidth, so long as the cache fill/flush algorithm doesn't bite
you. A faster cpu can in some cases obviate the need for some of the
moving bits around and so substitute for some more bandwidth.

My belief is that a 1GHz cpu with a 1GHZ really-truly random access
speed memory would run rings around current x86/ppc/sparc systems.
It's a fairly safe bet, since the odds of actual 1GHz memory  asre
currently slim.

tim
Oxymorons: Military Intelligence