[Seaside] Frustrated with Squeak and Magma

William Harford seaside at harford.org
Wed Sep 6 16:34:54 UTC 2006

On Sep 6, 2006, at 11:39 AM, Warren Henning wrote:

> You're pretty clever and stuff, I'm impressed. The best way to grow
> the Squeak community is to poorly document everything and then be
> snotty to people who find it frustrating (don't let this stop you from
> claiming Smalltalk is God's gift to computer programming). I recommend
> more gradients, more pictures of mouses, and possibly other measures
> to to make the UI widgets even more non-standard, less usable, and
> ugly than they already are. Keep driving away new people and you'll be
> a winner.

You must remember that for a lot of people on this list English may
not be there first language. The nuances that come natural for some
my not for others.  Also informal textual dialog lacks expression and
it is quite easy to take things the wrong way.

As for your above comments. Better documentation and native UIs are
two things that have seen a lot of discussion and need a lot of work.
The great thing about the Seaside/Squeak community at the moment is
that it is small but because of it's size resources are limited. If
you want to improve on things just jump right in, get familiar with a
project, and add some polish.

The Magma developers have done a tremendous amount of work to provide
a product at no cost. I have experienced some frustration at Magma
installation as well but we must remember that the Magma team has
gifted you a tremendous amount of code and knowledge. I for one am
thankful for their efforts.

Respect is a two way street.

Thanks
Will