[Seaside] Amazon EC2

Jason Johnson jbjohns at libsource.com
Thu Sep 7 18:06:21 UTC 2006

Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2006, at 5:41 AM, Jason Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Well, to be honest I'm not sure.  But the last time I had to change
>> where my DNS names point
>> to it was 48 hours before I could get to my site by name.  My company
>> always just kept serving the old names until our
>> statistics showed that no one was still using the old name.  I will
>> look into it when I get time, I have wondered what they were
>> doing for a while now. :)
>
> If you run your own DNS server (which was part of the setup I
> described), you can set the expiry to whatever you want... certainly
> setting it to 5 minutes wouldn't be unreasonable (you don't want it
> *too* short or everyone ends up doing way too many DNS lookups).
>
> Avi

Right, but what I am saying is, the users (e.g. AOL users) are using
some ISP for internet access.  When they try to hit your page, their PC
sends a DNS request to whoever it's configured for, which will be the
ISP (e.g. AOL) servers.  The ISP servers will ask the root servers, find
you and give the answer, but they (or they used to) ignore the TTL
field.  They just run a modified version of BIND or whatever with the
cache time hard coded to 2 days.  So for the next 2 days all users that
use the effected ISP server will hit that cache.  That wouldn't mean all
of AOL for example, but some percentage.

Now I don't know how systems that us Dynamic DNS are getting around
this, but I guess they are so it probably wont be a problem.  All I know
is I changed over my domain some months back and I couldn't get to my
site for 2 days by name because of it.

If this reminder is irrelevant for whatever reason, I apologize.  I was
trained for nearly a decade to point such things out. :)