[Seaside] Re: Amazon EC2

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Fri Sep 8 17:22:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 18:42:09 +0200, Avi Bryant wrote:
> On Sep 7, 2006, at 11:06 AM, Jason Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Now I don't know how systems that us Dynamic DNS are getting around
>> this, but I guess they are so it probably wont be a problem.  All I
>> know is I changed over my domain some months back and I couldn't get to
>> my site for 2 days by name because of it.
>>
>> If this reminder is irrelevant for whatever reason, I apologize.  I was
>> trained for nearly a decade to point such things out. :)
>
> No, thanks for explaining, I understand now.  That seems like obnoxious
> behavior on the part of AOL, but it would definitely pose a problem for
> the strategy I proposed.  Does anyone have any more data on whether this
> still happens and how DynDNS etc get around it (if they do)?

IIRC even registrar's behavior can cause 2-3 days ttl, see for example

- http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/archives/glue_records.html

And from own experience, when troubleshooting my client's IP / DNS / TTL /
MTU problems, I know with confidence that there are IProviders who have
"pass TTL of answers to customer's DNS query according to our greediest
business plan" as default business rule for their non-static IP addressed
customers ...

/Klaus