[Seaside] Image shutdown/startup on demand

William Harford seaside at harford.org
Tue Sep 19 16:45:51 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Currently I have a couple images running only couple applications
each. We have plans in the near future to have more apps running on
the same computer. The current plan it to have them all run in the
same image.

I understand that some people run each application in a separate
image. This image will start up when needed and shut down after is
has been used. I can see the advantages of doing it this way
especially if you are using the image for persistence.

How are people doing this? Apache, Apache+PHP/Perl/Ruby, Squeak?
Ideally I would like to see it done in Squeak with a Seaside front-
end.  How are you keeping the Images up to date?

What are some of the disadvantages of doing it this way. Some of the
obvious ones I see are keeping all this images up to date and you
could actually use more of the machines memory if lots of the images
are up and running at the same time.

It would be nice if front end allowed you to set up prototype images,
maintain images, and show the status of the images. Are there any
prebuilt solutions out there that do this (preferably free and
running on Squeak)? If not how much interest is there in something
like this. It looks like this might be a path I want to pursue.

Thanks
Will