[Seaside] Re: Image shutdown/startup on demand

William Harford seaside at harford.org
Tue Sep 19 18:57:18 UTC 2006

On Sep 19, 2006, at 2:28 PM, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> William Harford wrote:
>> This image will start up when needed and shut down after is  has
>> been used. I can see the advantages of doing it this way
>> especially if you are using the image for persistence.
>> How are people doing this? Apache, Apache+PHP/Perl/Ruby, Squeak?
>> Ideally I would like to see it done in Squeak with a Seaside
>> front- end.
>
> There's Avi's approach outlined here:
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2006-August/
> 008769.html

Ah it seams Avi has the luxury of not dealing with external resources
(like db connections) in a session.

I was thinking more along the lines of when all the sessions have
expired clear all caches, save this image, and quit. An approach that
would be better suited for images the require external resources.

It would be nice if this, mythical not yet made, application could
handle both situations.

> What do you mean by "keeping all the images up to date"?
> I thought you had in mind one image per application (or more
> than one application), for all users of that application.
> Are you thinking of one image per user?

I mean code changes, bug fixes, and other things that you might want
pushed out to all similar images.

>> It would be nice if front end allowed you to set up prototype
>> images,  maintain images, and show the status of the images. Are
>> there any  prebuilt solutions out there that do this (preferably
>> free and  running on Squeak)? If not how much interest is there in
>> something  like this. It looks like this might be a path I want to
>> pursue.
>
> It's probably an important piece of infrastructure to have,
> once people deploy more than a single image or application,
> increase their user base, or upgrade application versions.
> It's not yet a priority for me, but I've been keeping it in mind.
> I wouldn't mind trying out some ideas.

Great! Are you going to be at the Tomb Raiders Club meeting tonight?
I would love to share/get some ideas.

How would Comanche perform as a proxy?