[Seaside] Don't load Seaside 2.8 (yet)

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:50:53 UTC 2007

> This is just a reminder, there are heavy refactorings going on and
> some things don't work yet fully.

Exactly, I just wanted to write the same ;-)

> Also remember that loading Seaside 2.8 into an image that has Seaside
> 2.7 will break this image irrecoverably.

This is because there was a compiler hack in Seaside 2.7 and earlier
were that is luckily not needed anymore in 2.8. Unfortunately loading
2.8 into a 2.7 removes some important methods from the compiler
causing the image to irrecoverably freeze. Before loading you need to
remove all the old Seaside extension methods from the Seaside package.
Unfortunately I don't see a simpler solution ...

To give an update on the status:

- Cleanup of WARoot, WADocument and friends.
- Tests and much more comments for WACanvas, WABrush and friends.
- Better and more efficient encoding of URLs and XHTML.
- Got rid of WAHtmlRenderer and all its former users.
- Removed unused code.

Still ongoing are the following tasks:

- We are working on major speed optimizations, depending on the
application Seaside 2.8 is already up to twice as fast as earlier
versions.
- I am currently investigation ways to reduce the per session memory
consumption. No figures available yet.
- The responsabilities of WARenderer, WARenderLoop, WASession,
WARenderingContrext are not clear. Especially the session contains a
lot of request related things, that should not be there.
- New implementation of state backtracking.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli