[Seaside] Why seaside really sucks! COMMMMMMMENTS are MISSING

Jason Johnson jbjohns at libsource.com
Thu Apr 12 19:54:49 UTC 2007

Brad Fuller wrote:
> Jason Johnson wrote:
>> I'm surprised to be saying this, but one must not forget that
>> commenting also has a cost.
>
> Absolutely, it's a pain to do, costs LOTS of time and agony. But, the
> rewards for others down the line are greater if done well.
>
> Pay it forward.

Ok, I obviously wasn't clear here.  I'm not complaining about commenting
my code.  I have actually read code where the comment about "what the
following method does" was longer then the actual code to do the work.

If I see a comment I expect it has something I need to know and therefor
read it.  This is extra work, so it needs to pay.  If I read someone's
code and the first 10 comments are just duplication of what the code is
clearly doing then I am less likely to read the rest, some of which are
bound to have something I *do* need to know.  This is the cost I was
talking about.