[Seaside] Database

Ramiro Diaz Trepat ramirodt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 23:18:14 UTC 2007

This is a possible flame generating question.
I am no "senior member", but I'll tell you my brief experience:

   - OmniBase
   Discard if you intend to use the free version with Squeak.

   - Magma
   Excellent code integration, probably the most elegant of all.
   Can run as server and client images separately.
   Has a great query language that no one else has
   Has special classes for large collections that you can create indexes
   to specific attributes
   Has programmable ReadStrategies
   Has excellent support from its creator Chris Muller, and the list.
   The bad thing: It is a bit too slow.  Both for inserting and for
   querying, even on mid sized collections (a few thousand elements) with
   indexes and optimal read strategies can still be pretty slow.

   - Glorp / Postgres
   I'm just starting to test this, but it seems to run _real_ fast.
   It is A LOT more work to do the initial set up (OR mappings).