[Seaside] Seaside / smalltalk: tools and scalability

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 20:09:45 UTC 2007

Hi

Smalltalk comes in different flavors/dialects much like Lisp. Squeak
is one such dialect that is free as in beer. The two other Smalltalk
dialects that Seaside runs on are Dolphin and VisualWorks. They are
both commercial, run on windows, have refactoring, source code
management, ... I haven't heard of any Dolphin Seaside applications in
production but that doesn't mean they don't exist (they certainly
exist for VisualWorks).

The answers to some of your questions depend on which Smalltalk
dialect you want to use. For example each dialect comes with its own
source code management and although the tools are similar (they share
the same heritage) they are still a bit different. Also VisualWorks is
by far the most performant of them all. It may well be the fastest VW
for dynamic code in production use.

The VM is tied to your Smalltalk dialect. In theory you can port you
code from one dialect to an other but in practice this is a whole
different story.

Cheers
Philippe