[Seaside] Seaside / smalltalk: tools and scalability

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 09:07:34 UTC 2007

2007/4/18, Göran Krampe <goran at krampe.se>:
> Hi!
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Smalltalk comes in different flavors/dialects much like Lisp. Squeak
> > is one such dialect that is free as in beer.
>
> I would say much more free than "beer" - especially given the latest
> relicensing, but it was pretty darn free (as in freedom) before that even.
>
> Perhaps you mixed up the metaphor?

The last time I checked Squeak 3.8 and 3.9 were still under Squeak
License which is neither OpenSource(tm) nor accepted by the FSF. If
SqueakL is so cool like we have been told all those years, why
relicense?

> And further, some answers for Squeak specifically:

> >> As a
> >> error
> >> #getArgumentPermutation". Is
> >> development. I
> >> better
> >> out
> >> debugging,
> >> installing
>
> There are tons of browsers and tools for Squeak, I am unsure of the status
> of RB in say Squeak 3.9, since I seldom use it. But Chris just posted a
> prepped dev image, and Damien Cassou also maintains a prepped dev image
> that might be worthwhile to track. I tend to personally only track vanilla
> releases and add my own tools as I see fit - but that is just a matter of
> taste.

> >> based
> >> load)
>
> My guess is that dabbledb.com is the one to check out. Also, for tips and
> tricks in scaling Seaside, do check out Ramon's blog:
>
> http://onsmalltalk.com
>
> >> Is it trivial to set up?
>
> It is trivial to set up for playing and development - but not trivial to
> set up for large scaling. But not really hard either I guess (by reading
> descriptions from Avi and Ramon).
>
> >> Part of this exercise is to
> >> determine
> >> opposed
>
> IMHO it all boils down to development effort. Seaside and Smalltalk simply
> ROCKS when it comes to advanced, dynamic, complex web apps. And all the
> money you easily save there (compared to say a Java setup) can be spent a
> little bit on other things that may be lacking.

> >> say,
> >> nice
> >> that
>
> VisualWorks has its Store stuff - I guess it is good.
>
> And Squeak has Monticello which is really good and nice. I haven't used it
> in a larger setup but given its nature I don't foresee any problems - on
> the contrary - since it is so darn good at branching/merging having
> multiple devs working in parallell on different tasks/parts is very
> simple.

As long as our packages don't get too big. Once that happens
PackageInfo becomes a major speed bottleneck.