[Seaside] Performance issues

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 22:52:16 UTC 2007

> Hi. I have some performance issues. Please note that I do not know the
> Seaside internals, just I want to know if it's possible to do the following
> things:

We address a lot of performance and memory issues in Seaside 2.8. You
might want to try Seaside2.8a1-lr.220, it is noticeably faster.
However consider it early alpha quality.

> When WAOne is displayed again (from an #answer: in WATwo) it seems to me
> it's rendered again because it stands 4 or 5 seconds to render in the
> browser. It's the component cached? Where it is if that's the case? Can I
> use that LRUCache or another one?

The calling component can't be cached because it could change in the meantime.

> 3) Does it make any difference ***in performance*** to make a really large
> #renderContentOn: with renders all the page *OR* cutting this
> #renderContentOn: into 20-30 or more methods and pass the renderer all the
> way down?

No, message sends are cheap. Expensive are encoding, streaming and
property lookups.

I would split the render methods as far as possible, just for
maintainability and extensibility. The extra message sends don't
change something measurable.

> My facts is I cannot simplify my pages, they are complex and there are a lot
> of html inside there.

Can you provide an example? Are there big static parts (no links, no
forms) inside?

Cheers,
Lukas

--