[Seaside] Seaside with PHP (sort of)

William Harford seaside at harford.org
Wed Apr 25 13:46:36 UTC 2007

On Apr 25, 2007, at 3:48 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2007/4/25, William Harford <seaside at harford.org>:
>
> That's a real problem. Canvas benefits extremely from cascades and
> blocks.

Phaux deals with cascades by returning $this in any method that does
not logically return anything else. Of course PHP has nothing as
elegant as blocks. Phaux render takes a string as it's argument to
with() and all Phaux render tags answer __toString with the HTML
equivalent. It's not a huge deal but there are situations where you
might have to do things in an inside out fashion (creating the
contents of something before you start to create the something). I
personally think it's a billion times better than HTML templates.

> There is at least one ruby project. Ruby still does have continuations
> but will probably lose them in 2.0. There is also a template system
> similar to canvas called markaby

Markaby is interesting. PHP could do something similar to Markaby and
it will still allow control structures in content generation. I think
it would make the render stuff a little more verbose but it might be
worth it.

Like I said PHP does not have true continuations but with a
combination of exceptions and a little parsing I think it can be
done. With phaux you set the onAnswerCallback for a component and
then use callDialog. Execution does not halt and you have to split up
a method into 2 or 3 methods. It's not ideal but it's close.

-Will
Do I dream of electric sheep?

Do I dream of electric sheep?