[Seaside] a sidebar which displays another component ?

John Thornborrow john at pinesoft.co.uk
Thu Apr 26 09:11:37 UTC 2007

Nicolas Petton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Seaside to make a web application, with some components :
> - the main application,
> - a sidebar,
> - the 'contents' component.
>
> The main application displays the sidebar and the contents.
> Can the sidebar have methods to change the contents ? I don't know how
> to do this because they are both subcomponents of the main application.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nicolas Petton

I've got exactly the same setup for one of my sites, we have a main menu
and a submenu. In order to cater for this, I have a registry which I use
for storing the main content component (amongst other things) and this
is passed to all components, then I have:

renderContentOn: html
    html anchor class: 'menu'; with: [
       html text: 'Click this link']; callback: [
          self regsitry at: 'content' put: SomeClass new]

My root component then uses:

renderContentOn: html
    html render: self menu.
    html render: self submenu.
    html render: self content

and of course the #content method:

content
    ^(self registry at: 'content' ifNil: [DefaultContent new])

HTH,
John

www.pinesoft.co.uk

Pinesoft Computers are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA