[Seaside] Oddness with #lightbox: in VW

Yann Monclair yann at monclair.info
Thu Apr 26 16:57:27 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I've been playing around with Scriptaculous in VisualWorks, creating
a sample application as a demo for co-workers.
During the ajax-ication of my application, I came to use #lightbox:
instead of #call:
Now this lead to an error in my page rendering ( a MNU) and after
investigation I found out that, when you do

r:=self lightbox: (aComponent).
r will first have for value self , then when aComponent will answer,
it will have for value the object answered by aComponent.

This is not the same behaviour as #lightbox: in Squeak! So I suspect
it is a VW problem.

I put together a quick test case app, to reproduce the bug.  (attached)

Component1 calls component2. everytime it does a call (with #call: or
#lightbox: ) it inspects the value or r. As you will see, with #call:,
r is inspected only once, and has the proper value. With #lightbox: r
is inspected twice, first holding self , then holding the proper value.

I will try to look into the problem myself, but any help is
appreciated :)

Thanks,

Yann Monclair

PS: for the lucky people coming to Smalltalk Solutions 2007, I'll see
you in Toronto!