[Seaside] 3.9 and encoding in multipart fields

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Thu Apr 26 17:13:29 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 17:18 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:
> 2007/4/26, Norbert Hartl <norbert at hartl.name>:
> > On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 16:48 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:
> > > - you can't use string literals containing accented characters
> > That is a problem. I'm german and I need to use labels containing
> > Umlauts. What is the way to generate this character. Are strings
> > you get from WAKom different to the internal encoding squeak uses.
>
> What you get from WAKom is what you get from the distant
> user/webbrowser. I think it's always utf-8 because Seaside generates
> utf-8 but I'm not sure.
>
> About string literals, Lukas told me he uses  a #squeakToUtf method,
> but I don't know where to find it.

Hmmm, it is still not working. I have two forms. One is only text fields
(multipart false) and one is text fields and input type="file"
(multipart true). I store the values in the database using Glorp.
I have two modifications to convert strings. One to utf8 when storing
in the database and one to convert from utf8 when reading from the
database.

The multipart=false case leads to a proper store of the string in the
database. The multipart=true does not. Using WAKomEncoded39 the none
multipart case is displayed correctly. With WAKom the multipart case
is displayed correct.

Examine the kom requests I can see that on multipart=false the strings
are displaying correct in the inspector. With multipart=true the
strings are looking strange (no conversion to the squeak encoding???)

I don't know much about the multipart stuff. Are the single parts from
a multipart recognizable of which type they are (binary or text). I
would like to do a conversion if it is text. Do you have any hint where
in WAKom this encoding should occurr.

thanks,

Norbert