[Seaside] Seaside with PHP (sort of)

Edward Stow ed.stow at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 07:13:29 UTC 2007

Will

Before investing too much time in the project you should have a look
at some of the other php frameworks.  I have a passing familiarity
with  CakePhp and am developing an application in Prado
http://pradosoft.com. I suggest that you look at the QuickStart
tutorial http://pradosoft.com/demos/quickstart/ .

Prado in particular implements many of the features that you listed on
the google site.

Edward

On 25/04/07, William Harford <seaside at harford.org> wrote:
> I have done a couple of largish projects in Seaside and Smalltalk (both
> Squeak and VW). Personally I love Smalltalk and Seaside but I have had a
> fair amount of trouble convincing any number of programmers of the relative
> merits of Smalltalk. Even amongst the small group of squeak enthusiasts here
> is Toronto convincing them to use Smalltalk in a commercial environment is
> an uphill battle.
>
> The ideas embodied in Seaside on the other hand are met with much more
> excitement. Smalltalk, to a large amount of people, is an insurmountable
> hurtle. In the spirit of open source I blatantly ripped of Seaside and
> implemented a number of it's ideas with PHP in a project call Phaux.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/phaux/
>
> Phaux does lack continuations. In it's place is a mechanism for calling
> dialogs with a callback when the dialog answers. It should be possible to
> implement continuations in PHP but I just, at this point, think the
> complication would not be worth it. It would be a nifty addition to Phaux I
> just don't want to do it :-).
>
> What I have not decided is if what I might give up developing with PHP is
> worth what I might gain (more programmers who are comfortable with PHP). I
> also have not decided if Seaside and Smalltalk are separable. For example
> loosing code blocks does somewhat damage the beauty of canvas.
>
> What other projects projects out there have taken Seaside's ideas and
> reimplemented them in other languages/platforms. Was it sucessful? What was
> the trade offs that were made ? Was it worth it?
>
> Thanks Much
> Will

Edward Stow