[Seaside] How to implement the classical email confirmation with seaside

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Fri Apr 27 14:31:27 UTC 2007

Sebastian Sastre wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>     I'm wonder how one can implement with Seaside the classical
> feature in which a user fills an online form and the system sends an
> email confirmation to the user with a link that when clicked the
> system can store it as a valid user with a valid email.
>
>     As Seaside uses the urls in an ephemeral fashion I can't figure
> out how a seaside application can detect that link in a callback or
> something like that.
>
>     Any clue will be appreciated,
>
>     thank you,

Here's what I do:

Mark your "change password request" objects with a unique Id (I use
UUID>>asString36).  Send an e-mail to the user with a URL which contains
an ID encoded in its path.

Create a root component and implement initialRequest:.  This method gets
the WARequest instance as an argument.  From that you can get the path
elements (I think I use "request nativeRequest pathParts last" to get
the last one).  Now you have the id so you can pull the change password
request object out of your database.

David