[Seaside] Question about WASelectTag class hierarchy...

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 21:37:14 UTC 2007

2007/4/29, bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk <bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk>:
> Philippe Marschall writes:
>  > 2007/4/29, Boris Popov <boris at deepcovelabs.com>:
>  > >
>  > > But if they get flattened for ports anyway, does it really matter if you use
>  > > them or not? In which case why bother?
>  >
>  > This is what I'm trying to say. I can't see how it affects anybody but
>  > developers.
>
> It'll only effect developers if you start developing on VW
> without traits and want to move your changes back to Squeak
> with traits.

You can't do that today and you won't be able to do this tomorrow. I
fail to see the change.

> Also, I doubt a flattened design will look as clean as one done
> without traits. The traitified design might be better though.

If the design without traits uses duplication (as today in some parts)
the flattened design will look _exactly_ the same.
If the design without traits puts methods too high in the class
hierarchy (as today in some parts) the flattened design will look
better (methods are where they should be and make sense).
Again, traits change nothing, even improve the situation (the current
one being far from clean).

> Real experience reports would be great.

We won't know how well it works until we do it. My experience working
with traits so far it that they work as advertised.

Cheers
Philippe