[Seaside] Seaside, Traits, portability

Avi Bryant avi at dabbledb.com
Mon Apr 30 17:45:59 UTC 2007

On 4/29/07, Boris Popov <boris at deepcovelabs.com> wrote:

> Why be so cynical? Different strokes for different folks. I've felt many
> times that you couldn't care less about anyone not using squeak and it does
> nothing but motivate me to unsubscribe from the list for good.

Boris, please don't unsubscribe. I think you'll find the vast majority
of people on this list care deeply about keeping Seaside portable
across dialects - I would guess that at this point it's the largest
portable Smalltalk codebase, and the largest cross-dialect community,
and that's very important to me and to many others.

For that reason and others, nobody who uses Seaside in production is
seriously proposing that we make it depend on Traits - as far as I
know, nobody uses Traits in production, period.  By all means, let's
have an academic discussion about the costs and benefits of Traits,
but let's do it with a very clear understanding that it is indeed
academic, and *not* a proposal that's going to affect mainline Seaside
any time even vaguely soon.

Avi