[Seaside] How do we get a string with a specific encodings

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Thu Aug 2 14:15:14 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 15:49 +0200, stephane ducasse wrote:

> >> In fact it comes from two sources.
> >>         - one on a file (that normally I read with a converter to
> >> be sure)
> >
> > What encoding does the file have?
>
> utf8 but I could change that.
> It seems that latin1 would be better.
>
> >>         - from input fields.
> >
> > Are you running an encoded server adapter or WAKom?
>
> Just WAKom but I should move to use the WAKomEncoded39 version
>
> >> Now I was also wondering how I can simply specify a string with an
> >> encoding in Squeak
> >> in the image since I have no clue about that.
>
> do you know the anwser that the last question?

You better not. I know, Phillippe will disagree :) My opinion
is that you should convert every string you get from outside
the image to the internal format squeak uses. That is a controlled
setting and you are able to use size and other methods on those
strings without worry. The get your file to the web with the
correct encoding you read in the file convert it from utf-8 to
the internal squeak encoding. Then you should use WAKomEncoded39
that will do the conversion to utf-8 when the string is about
to leave the image. From input fields it is nearly the same except
the fact that WAKomEncoded39 doesn't do conversion for fields if
the request is multipart (that means mostly you uploaded something
like image along with the text fields). If you have trouble with this
you can ask me and I can provide you with a fix. Or your searching
the archives with subjects:

- [Seaside] 3.9 and encoding in multipart fields

Norbert