[Seaside] Stable versions

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 19:53:52 UTC 2007

2007/8/22, Damien Cassou <damien.cassou at gmail.com>:
> Hi Peter,
>

> 2007/8/22, Peter Osburg <peter.osburg at gmail.com>:
> > So we need to know what version we should use. Right now we think about
> > Squeak 3.9 with Seaside 2.7 (as it is stable, though) but what about
> > 3.10 and 2.8. Is Seaside 2.8 too buggy right now or would it be stable
> > enough to create a tutorial?
>
> I would vote for Squeak 3.10+Seaside 2.8. Squeak 3.10 contains a lot
> of bug fixes and not so much new features. I consider it more stable
> than 3.9. Seaside 2.8 is really stable now and I guess no massive
> change will happen before the release. Moreover, at the time your
> tutorial will be finished, these versions will probably be the stable
> ones.

To me Squeak and Seaside versions are two different topics.
It really depends on how you define stable. If you define it in the
Debian way then go 2.7. But 2.7 certainly has several bugs which we
discovered during 2.8 and were not backported. 2.8 quite likely also
has some new bugs which we don't know yet about. That said it has been
running in production for quite a while now so it's deffinetly usable
for a tutorial (www.seaside.st runs on 2.8). In the recent days
several changes and fixes were introduced that have a certain
possibility of breaking stuff but everything looks good so far.

Cheers
Philippe