[Seaside] Upload speeds with Comanche

Patrick Collison patrick at collison.ie
Fri Aug 24 15:05:59 UTC 2007

Hi,

On a dual-core 2.16Ghz MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM, it takes Comanche
190 seconds to read a request containing a 5MB file upload. By
comparison, the same request takes Apache 1.3 about 0.3 seconds.

By changing SocketStream>>bufferSize to use a 100kb buffer (instead of
the standard 2kb), I got that down to 8 seconds, but at the cost of
rapidly ballooning memory usage after a few hundred requests.

Has anyone modified a stock Comanche/Smalltalk combination to get
things running a bit faster, or get any suggestions as to how I can
improve things?

Cheers,

Patrick