[Seaside] Center Site without Table

Sebastian Sastre ssastre at seaswork.com
Tue Aug 28 12:20:44 UTC 2007

Hi Dirk,

    I do this with tables. I've made a Layout object that makes that for any
component you configure transparently. I do use tables for basic layout
because of cross browser compatibility with simplicity. By the way tables
are born to layout. Decoupling that from the app is a story you can solve in
you app design (keeping presentation decoupled from model at seaside
components level)

I'm not a fan of tableless styling. Css is vey good for lot of things. It
really would be better if it have arrived ten years earlier. You simply
can't do all (style) with css painlessly. Anyway for a tableless solution
like you want take a look at:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/holygrail

    I was needing a more general solution for basic layouting. After about
4-6 hours of pain implementing my layouter object tableless sucessfully I
found that this approach let me with the visual view that I needed but (for
the same price) it gave me the left column deaf to mouse events. What a deal
..

    So before ended that day I've reimplemented the layouter painlessly with
tables in about an hour and the page I needed in about the next 5 min. It
works without hacks, result guaranteed, in all browsers.

    FYI W3C is working to make a standard of tables in CSS (because they
born to layout) which will be great because I think they will standard it in
a pretty elegant solution that, off course, todays no browser vendor
interprets the same way if they are paying attention to it at all.  That was
what convinced me to forget forcing me to stylize tableless todays.

    cheers,

Sebastian Sastre

  _____