[Seaside] [ANN] Seaside 2.8 beta

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 13:39:43 UTC 2007

Hi

As of today Seaside 2.8 is going beta and entering code freeze.
Anything that did not make it so far into 2.8 (like configuration
inheritance refactoring) will not be in the 2.8 release. New features
will have to wait for 2.9. Seaside 2.8 has been in production use for
quite some time now so we are quite confident about its stability
despite some minor known bugs (see bugtracker). When exactly the final
release will be depends on how many bug reports come in and obviously
how fast they will be fixed but we don't expect it to be too far away.
A new version of Scriptaculous and Comet will be released at the same
date.

To get Seaside 2.8 for Squeak load it from SqueakMap or directly load
Seaside2.8a1-lr.462.mcz from the Seaside repository [4]. And update
for universes should follow soon.
We hope that there will be an updated version for VisualWorks soon.

Check out the Seaside homepage for new features [1] and a migration guide [2].

If you use Squeak, do not load Seaise 2.8 into an image that has 2.7
or an earlier version loaded. It will break your image.

If you are looking for a way to get involved into the Seaside project
without contributing code we are looking for a maintainer for the
homepage. You can an also buy official Seaise T-shirts at our webshop
[3]. The presentation Lukas did at ESUG today is available at [5].

Cheers
The Seaside Team

[1] http://www.seaside.st/community/development/seaside28a1
[2] http://www.seaside.st/documentation/migration