[Seaside] session and cookies?

John Thornborrow john at pinesoft.co.uk
Thu Aug 30 17:14:08 UTC 2007

In my opinion, the best practice for "remember me" functionality, is to
store the encrypted/hashed username and password on the cookie, then
when the user returns to the site, try and log them in after decrypting
or comparing hash values, instead of having the user enter them manually.

Everything else should be instanced as per a "normal" login from then
on. If you have session specific information, then the session has
ended.. thus the new session will lose that information.

However, it is possible to store the session ID in the users cookie, so
if the session has not expired, and you override the cookie timeout, it
would be possible for the user to return to the same session (and also
possible to return to the same session from a different machine - so be
warned of hijacking!)

Hope this helps,

John

www.pinesoft.co.uk