[Seaside] Options to distribute Squeak (Seaside) app withoutsource code

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Dec 4 04:57:28 UTC 2007

On 3-Dec-07, at 8:43 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>> Carl> The only way to examine the application then would be to
>> have  some
>> Carl> of image file browsing tool.

>> tim> Err.... I'm not aware of one!
>>
>> You mean
>>
>>    InterpreterSimulator new openOn: Smalltalk imageName
>>
>> doesn't create an image browsing tool?  That seems to be part
>> of the VMMaker package.
>>
> Yes.

Well I suppose in one way that is an image browsing tool; it is awful
slow as a way of stealing code though.  A bit like spelunking machine
code to steal MS BASIC off an Altair.

> And for this, i think, the best way is to create own, proprietary VM
> with own bytecode e.t.c. e.t.c. :)

.. and rewriting the compiler to produce those alternative bytecodes.
And debugging the whole thing so you can trust it.

> Which raises another question: does the result(hidden source) worth
> efforts?
If you really truly consider the cost of someone stealing your code to
be say $100M then it might just be worth it. Otherwise, nah.

tim
Useful random insult:- Low on thinking gas.