[Seaside] URL problems

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 16:19:36 UTC 2007

2007/12/8, Jimmie Houchin <j.squeak at cyberhaus.us>:
> Hello All,
>
> I know, I know, we've been around this mountain. :)
>
> But I just wanted to post about an issue with the Seaside URL handling.
>
> I don't know if this is the way Seaside is supposed to work or if there
> is a different way which works the way I and I believe most people expect.
>
> I am reading the tutorial at:
>
> http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial
>
> I open up each chapter in its own tab in Firefox. Due to Firefox's
> ability to resume sessions and whatever reason I had to shut down my
> laptop. That window with all its tabs were shut down and then later resumed.
>
> But the problem is that when the window and its tabs resumed every
> single tab was identical. Yuck!!!
>
> Tabs like these:
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/seaside/tutorial?1&_k=bveMvOxz&_s=MvWvDTBHoWiSRmFs
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/seaside/tutorial?2&_k=bveMvOxz&_s=MvWvDTBHoWiSRmFs
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/seaside/tutorial?3&_k=bveMvOxz&_s=MvWvDTBHoWiSRmFs
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/seaside/tutorial?4&_k=bveMvOxz&_s=MvWvDTBHoWiSRmFs
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/seaside/tutorial?5&_k=bveMvOxz&_s=MvWvDTBHoWiSRmFs
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/seaside/tutorial?6&_k=bveMvOxz&_s=MvWvDTBHoWiSRmFs
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/seaside/tutorial?7&_k=bveMvOxz&_s=MvWvDTBHoWiSRmFs
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/seaside/tutorial?8&_k=bveMvOxz&_s=MvWvDTBHoWiSRmFs
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/seaside/tutorial?9&_k=bveMvOxz&_s=MvWvDTBHoWiSRmFs
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/seaside/tutorial?10&_k=bveMvOxz&_s=MvWvDTBHoWiSRmFs
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/seaside/tutorial?11&_k=bveMvOxz&_s=MvWvDTBHoWiSRmFs
>
> became:
> http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial
> http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial
> http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial
> http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial
> http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial
> http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial
> http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial
>
> I wanted the pages with each individual chapter. Not the front page or
> entry point to the tutorial. I don't want to have to repeat the process
> every single time something like this occurs. This is counter to most
> all other experience on the web.

You can change this behavior, you just have to do it, it won't come
automatically. BTW this is all documented in the code but since people
don't read documentation and I don't have anything better to do I'll
repeat it. There are three different paths

- You can add path elements to the url of an anchor with #extraPath:
- You can modify the 'current' url with #updateUrl:
- You can set up your components if a new session is started with
#initialRequest:

All this url fiddling is very annoying but if you really want to do it
you can do it. There is a much simpler solution and that is letting
sessions live forever.

Cheers
Philippe