[Seaside] URL problems

Jimmie Houchin j.squeak at cyberhaus.us
Sat Dec 8 19:00:14 UTC 2007

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> 2007/12/8, Jimmie Houchin <j.squeak at cyberhaus.us>:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I know, I know, we've been around this mountain. :)
>>
>> But I just wanted to post about an issue with the Seaside URL handling.
>>
>> I don't know if this is the way Seaside is supposed to work or if there
>> is a different way which works the way I and I believe most people expect.
>>
>> I am reading the tutorial at:
>>
>> http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/seaside/tutorial
>>
>> I open up each chapter in its own tab in Firefox. Due to Firefox's
>> ability to resume sessions and whatever reason I had to shut down my
>> laptop. That window with all its tabs were shut down and then later resumed.
>>
>> But the problem is that when the window and its tabs resumed every
>> single tab was identical. Yuck!!!
[snip]
>> I wanted the pages with each individual chapter. Not the front page or
>> entry point to the tutorial. I don't want to have to repeat the process
>> every single time something like this occurs. This is counter to most
>> all other experience on the web.
>
> You can change this behavior, you just have to do it, it won't come
> automatically. BTW this is all documented in the code but since people
> don't read documentation and I don't have anything better to do I'll
> repeat it. There are three different paths

Thanks for this information. As this was not my app and I was observing
as an end user, I wasn't looking at any code, but rather the behavior. I
am very pleased that this is documented in the code so that when I am
developing I will be understand better. Thanks.

> - You can add path elements to the url of an anchor with #extraPath:
> - You can modify the 'current' url with #updateUrl:
> - You can set up your components if a new session is started with
> #initialRequest:
>
> All this url fiddling is very annoying but if you really want to do it
> you can do it. There is a much simpler solution and that is letting
> sessions live forever.

Thanks for this information. It is nice to know that this is doable,
even if it does add some overhead to the development process.

But I do agree with some of the other posters. That the chapter pages in
the Tutorial aren't really session data as much as they are independent
URLs.

It is nice to know that while this may not be the common use of Seaside
for this style of site, that it can be done with our favorite web app
framework. I would hate to think that I would need to complicate my life
with something like Rails in order to accomplish such. :)

Especially when most often the time for something like that, is for
something small like the Tutorial site. More web site like, and less web
app like. But you never know. There are some Big web sites out there.

Smalltalk, Seaside just provide too many nice things to have to stoop to
such things as Rails. ;)

Thanks.

Jimmie