[Seaside] Making anchors to submit

Michael Lucas-Smith mlucas-smith at cincom.com
Tue Dec 11 05:23:06 UTC 2007

Sebastian Sastre wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> 	the submit buttons look change from system to system but anchors are
> consistent so I'm trying to use anchors to submit forms by using
>
> 	html anchor
> 		callback:[self someAction];
> 		submitFormNamed: 'someFormId';
> 		yourslef
>
> 	Is anybody using anchors with #submitFormNamed: succesfully?
>
> 	cheers,
>
> Sebastian
> PS: amazingly it works as expected with IE but not in FF, nor Opera nor
> Safari for windows

On the other mailing list we came to the conclusion that the method
should be removed. FF, Opera and Safari all perform the POST
asynchronously - there's no way to tell it to run synchronously. As
such, you're better off using the form XmlHttpRequest calls supplied by
Mootools, Prototype, etc... or simply use a real button and style it to
look like a link (if that's what you're actually after).

You can do that with styling along the lines of:

button { border: none; text-decoration: underline; background-color:
none; color: blue }

I didn't doubt check this in a browser, just going off the top of my
head here... so if it isn't quite right, just fiddle and play until it
looks the way you want it too.

Cheers,
Michael