[Seaside] Truly Opaque URLs

Jason Johnson jbjohns at libsource.com
Mon Dec 17 20:23:53 UTC 2007

Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> Mini-Rant, not aimed anybody in particular.
> Especially Lukas whose email this a response to.
>

> As I've attempted to express in all of my emails. Quite possibly poorly.
>
> This is simply an idea that I thought might present a cleaner URL for
> Seaside while maintaining all the benefits Seaside has. That is all.
>
> I wasn't and am not declaring any major problem per se. I just
> didn't/don't see the benefit of having stated, declared or known
> parameters in the URL, beyond an ID which can take you back to the point
> in the code you were operating upon.
>
> It was a thought, an idea. Not an expression of a problem.
>
> People regularly comment about ugly Seaside URLs. Yes, they are
> developers. Who else do we expect to make comments on a developers list.
>
> I've seen numerous posts here about how users don't care about URLs and
> that URLs don't matter, etc. All in defense of a particular URL scheme.
> Doesn't make sense to me. Oh well.
>
> Mini-Rant over.
>
> My apologies to all. I guess I just don't get it.
>
> Jimmie

Well, I suspect you are like me:  what my old boss called a "tweaker",
i.e. someone who is always tweaking something trying to make every
aspect perfect.  This is something one has to learn to control because
the fact is, when you're in tweaking mode you are almost certainly
working on something no one else in the world notices or cares about.

In my case, I looked at how to get rid of those ugly strings, but I know
it doesn't matter so I limited my time to 5 minutes. I can click the
"use cookies" button and it works fine, if not ok.  What is important to
me is having bookmarkable URLs, but Seaside provides an effective way to
do that.

I've never heard of one single person going "ew!  Look at those URL's,
I'm never looking at this site again!".  And I don't mean that to
belittle your comments in any way, just try to help put them in
perspective. :)