[Seaside] Truly Opaque URLs

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Mon Dec 17 21:29:40 UTC 2007

I think in this discussion we should distinguish between closed
applications and public web sites (or applications that are part of a
web site). In the former case I don't care at all about the URLs, and
only care about bookmarking in very specific situations because it
usually does not make sense.

On the other hand, on a public web site it matters. It matters for
example for search engines. If each link looks differently although it
points to the same page, this is not good. Also, you don't want that
the session key of the bot shows up in search results. You want to
make important keywords be part of the URL, you want URLs to be short
so that people can easily mail them around (and no, I don't buy the
argument that also Amazon has unfriendly URLs).

Out of the box Seaside is not very good at such things, but then,
Seaside is for building web applications, not web sites.
However, in case you happen to use Seaside for web sites (as we do for www.cmsbox.com
  for example) it is not too hard to tweak it.

Cheers,
Adrian