For the [Seaside] FAQ: Making the back button work

Tom Phoenix rootbeer at redcat.com
Mon Dec 31 01:14:37 UTC 2007

On Dec 30, 2007 2:39 PM, Philippe Marschall
<philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...] if the value
> of #children changes over time you need to use backtracking to make
> sure the back button works correctly.

What do I need to do to make sure the back button works correctly in
my application?

I'm not asking about an actual application; this is a question for the
FAQ. But I am asking for more explication; exactly how does one do
this? It's not clear to me what should happen, for example, if one of
the items returned by #children is no longer intended to be rendered;
does it need to stay in #children in case the back button might cause
it to be rendered once again?

In particular, does handling the back button depend upon the
application? The page on "Maintaining State" in the documentation
section on www.seaside.st gives a (slightly broken) example, but one
which contrasts with WACounter's way, thereby implying that there is
more than one way for an application to handle the back button. What
different ways are useful and supported?

Cheers!

--Tom Phoenix