[Seaside] Learning Squeak class syntax

cdrick cdrick65 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 15:13:58 UTC 2007

2007/12/30, Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>:

> Hi all. I have just installed seaside 2.8 on Fedora. Nice
> installation - works out of the box.
>
> The reason for my interest in Squeak is I want to learn
> smalltalk class syntax, so I can convert the smalltalk
> design pattern examples in the GoF book to other languages,
> such as Java and PHP.

Be careful, you could never go back to something else ;)

Syntax is pretty straightforward...  look at this flyer
http://damien.cassou.free.fr/smalltalk-flyer-english.pdf

Squeak is to me more about navigating in the code, in the message sends,
event at runtime. For that you need to learn how to use browsers. So have a
lookat squeak by example (the more recent book on squeak, and moreover
opensource and then free - http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/SBE/index.html)

hth and happy new year all :)

cédrick