[Seaside] Re: The session in the debugger

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Wed Feb 7 22:16:59 UTC 2007

Hi Lukas,

on Wed, 07 Feb 2007 22:26:14 +0100, you wrote:

>> Stack search now added and (surprise! :) now it shows seaside's session
>> in
>> the debugger (labelled aSession class name).
>
> I don't think this is quite what we want:

No nitpicking: this thread is about The session in the debugger :)

> We would like to be able to
> select any part of the code in the code pane and evaluate it.

Sure, can be done ;-)

> This
> code might directly or indirectly do a stack-lookup for dynamic
> variables such as (but not limited to) the current session.

It seems that "stack-lookup for dynamic variables" is not implemented with
the debugging situation in mind but, see below.

> This does
> not work right now, as a doIt is not executed in the context of the
> debugger.

You perhaps mean, "is only executed in the context which belongs to the
debugger and not in the context of the debugee".

> Now this is a little bit tricky. When processing a doIt the execution
> stack in the debugger should be chained with the one from the doIt,
> but otherwise not touched or unwound. I already do chain two execution
> stacks with Continuation>>#invoke:, but in the debugger this seems to
> be slightly more tricky ...

Sure (tricky). In anticipation or this complaint (it's an old one, the
problem exists since debugger is forked into a new process, isolated from
the debuggee), I've reported, many many femtoseconds ago

- http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=5957

Sorry for no better news. Ad hoc I see no easy way for debugger (which
delegates to #evaluate: and friends) to solve the possible problems
(unwind, exception, process termination) which can occur when evaluating
in the context of the debuggee's stack (and perhaps its process).

/Klaus