[Seaside] Nuking objects when changing pages?

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 16:06:04 UTC 2007

 From a general Smalltalk perspective, I don't go helping the GC in the
normal course of things. I have tuned Smalltalk apps, but not Seaside.

Just remove the pointer and let the GC clean up after me. Setting to nil
works for instance variables, remove the key in a dictionary, or if it
is a temporary, simply let it fall out of scope.

If I had some evidence from a profiling session that showed it was
hurting, I'd consider it. I'd probably look at different GC settings
before I started adding tweaks to my app.

Of course, I'd document the tune and make it easy to remove later
(perhaps by adding a method call). A tune here could be the bottleneck
there -- different VM, GC implementation, hardware, customer, etc.