[Seaside] Seaside 2.7a1 versions 169

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 09:39:32 UTC 2007

2007/2/12, Ron Teitelbaum <Ron at usmedrec.com>:
> Philippe,
>
> Actually no.  If you update from repositories, which my system does
> automatically you will see that it changes back and forth from each version
> of 169.

Ah, you are talking about that functionality. That never worked
anyway. Even if it worked it would still be a bad idea to use it. We
don't write change logs for fun. Sometimes we do breaking changes,
sometimes you will have to change your code, sometimes we do
experimental versions (with comments like 'do not load') people will
still load it and complain when it does as advertised.

Monticello is not CVS, it does not work like CVS, there is no concept
of CVS HEAD. The version numbers in the MCZ files are not the same as
CVS revisions. They are merely a way on making sure the filenames are
unique. They have _NO_ semantics (which is why you are free to choose
anything). The semantics are all defined by the metainformation file
and not the filename. Filename hackery is not the correct way to
extend Monticello, it doesn't work and only leads to more problems as
can be seen with Chronos. The right way is add more metainformation to
a file.

So what is the latest version of a Monticello Package anyway? It is
the merge of all the leaves on the ancestory graph in all the
repositories (yes all, Monticello is distributed), not the version
with the biggest integer in the filename.

> This means that I update every time my system loads.  It also means
> that I have no idea which version is considered the current one.  It's
> better if we do not release two versions with the same number, unless we are
> intending to permanently fork in which case I would recommend using a dot
> version 169.01 or a new name for the fork.

> Since that is not the case could
> we reconcile and release a new version?

When they are ready to be merged, they will be merged. It is not the
first time we have versions with the same version numbers and it will
not be the last. Monticello does not force you to synch before
committing, making every commit a branch, and it works very good this
way.

Cheers
Philippe