Slowness of Scriptaculous? Re: [Seaside] Seaside subsets

Rick Flower rickf at ca-flower.com
Wed Feb 14 17:38:14 UTC 2007

Carl Gundel wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Yann Monclair" <yann at monclair.info>
>> I think ajax has changed the way to see webapps, and we don't want to
>> have to
>> chage the page anymore, but just to update a part of it. I do that a
>> lot in my
>> application (maybe too much , when I see the slowness of my calendar
>> :( ).
>
> I haven't used Scriptaculous in my work yet, but I hope to (or
> SeasideAsync).  I'm surprised to hear that it is slow.  I thought on of
> the important ideas of partial page reloading a la Ajax is that it is
> supposed to be faster.

I've been using more of the Ajax stuff (ala SeasideAsync) and find it
works just fine speedwise -- my web-app is only running on my garage
based Compaq Proliant 6400 (quad Xeon's running at 500Mhz) on Linux and
find no issues w/ speed.. Of course, that's only with 1 user doing
development/testing.. Should be much better when proxied up and put on a
faster (production) machine... I use the Ajax stuff to update a div that
displays the contents of my shopping cart and other address fields..
It's VERY slick and my wife & sister-in-law were very impressed with
what I've got going in this yet-to-be-done web-app..