[Seaside] 10th time is a charm!

Giles Bowkett gilesb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 17:10:00 UTC 2007

Gracias! I saw the Lisp and Haskell mentions on your blog, certainly
shared interests there. Hopefully I'll see you at RailsConf this year.
I actually moved to Los Angeles -- but it was my third time living in
NM, and my folks liked it so much when I went to school there that
they ended up retiring in Pecos. But I know somebody building
Smalltalk apps in Santa Fe -- I met him, and learned of his company,
about three days before I left. I'm pretty sure that they're going to
be working in Seaside once the Gemstone object database sets up its
Seaside support. (Which I've heard is definitely on the way.)

Anyway, Stephane Ducasse has put a lot of free books on Smalltalk
online in PDF form, and some of them are very good, but I actually
prefer having a physical book in my hands. The two I'm reading at the
moment are "Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns" by Kent Beck and
"Smalltalk, Objects, and Design" by Chamond Liu. One advanced book,
one beginner book. I found VisualWorks Smalltalk hard to get started
with, the UI felt counter-intuitive, and Squeak much, much easier.
Smalltalk itself is very easy to read, but it's kind of like Java in
that it's more about learning the libraries than learning the
language. (Obviously there are extensive differences, that's a whole
different topic, but there's that similarity.)

In terms of Seaside itself, Ramon Leon's blog is a very good place to
start, especially his screencast on creating a blog with Seaside, and
this article:

http://onsmalltalk.com/programming/smalltalk/terse-guide-to-seaside/

Be sure to use an up-to-date Seaside, some of the same objects and
messages exist across different versions, but exist in different
places. That can be a bit confusing. I'm still learning it too, I was
hoping to make some progress this weekend, but all my time was eaten
up with relocation stuff.

On 2/18/07, Mike Pence <mike.pence at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey fellow beachcombers.
>
> So, Giles inspired me, via his most excellent blog, to try Seaside again. This will make time 6th or 7th or 10th or something-ith that I have resolved to do this, but I have confidence that I will follow through because this has been a year of firsts. I've obtained a reasonable level of mastery of Rails, adopted Linux, taken up VIM, etc.
>
> Also, I spoke at the Rails conference about Laszlo and Rails, another whistle-stop on my journey to regaining the power of component-oriented UI development that I tasted in Delphi. So, Seaside is next for me.
>
> Squeak and Seaside are a lot to bite off. I would appreciate any pointers on where to get started. I need a refresher on Smalltalk syntax, an idea of the cycle of interaction with Squeak -- the usual.
>
> And mad props to Giles. As a programmer who used to live in Sedona and Scottsdale, I have a sense of kinship with a fellow technologist who braved Albequerque. Sounds like we love similar things and make similar mistakes. :)
>
> Best,
> Mike Pence
> http://mikepence.wordpress.com/

Giles Bowkett