[Seaside] So where is the "release" version of 3.7?

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 20:56:41 UTC 2007

2007/2/26, Todd Blanchard <tblanchard at mac.com>:
> Progress is all well and good, but in a cycle you typically have open
> development - stuff is broken all over the place, not everything
> planned is done.  This is usually 'alpha'.
>
> At some point you reach "feature complete"  but with known problems.
> This is usually 'beta'.  From here you commit to no more new
> features, no structural changes, only bug fixes.  Features and
> architecture are frozen.
>
> When the defect discovery rate gets low enough, you call it a
> release.  You may have subsequent minor releases to fix minor
> problems - but this version is considered "stable".  I can count on
> it being of reasonably high quality and that pulling an update of
> this line will not require any code changes on my part.
>
> Then you start over.
>
> I know that the feature freeze/bug fix only releases aren't really
> fun and you have to restrain your muse.  But for the people trying to
> build on top of this stuff - your fun comes at their expense.  They
> don't have time to change a bunch of code just because in some
> iteration the framework developers decided to toss some mechanism
> because it isn't elegant.
>
> Draw a line in the sand - call it the stable release, we can have an
> announcement, serve cake, get on slashdot.  Bump the version number.
>
> If people can't see what horse to bet on, they will not bet.

That's not how Seaside is developed. We don't have such cycles. As
Lukas said, in general we use the latest Seaside version for
production applications and we certainly develop Pier and Magritte
against the latest version. You can't do that if you have open bugs
that you know about. Sure there are instable phases when a lot of
refactoring is going on (like start of 2.7 or lr.171+) but that's in
general only maybe 4 versions. If we know about a bug, we fix it, if
we want a feature, we implement it. This is how Seaside is developed.
This is why it is pointless to attach a label to a Seaside version.

Philippe