[Seaside] call: vs rendered component

Avi Bryant avi at dabbledb.com
Tue Feb 27 00:49:15 UTC 2007

On 2/25/07, Sean Malloy <smalloy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess my line of thinking is, you should use call: when you want to
> do something with the returned answer? Where as what I currently want,
> is just a placeholder where I can dynamically change the loaded
> component, and thus probably shouldn't be using call, because I'm not
> making use of #answer/#answer: (and could be creating lots of extra
> unnecessary continuations?)

I'd say it comes down to roughly the distinction between modal and
modeless for dialog boxes.  Is the new component something the user
will deal with, and then return to where they are now, or one step in
a multistep process? If so, use #call:.  Is it pure modeless
navigation, where they're just changing the page they're looking at?
If so, your strategy is IMO the right one.  In your case I'd say
you're doing the right thing.

Avi